Sunday, January 3, 2010

Coq a Vin




Tonight I tried something that I thought would be really different. Of course it sounds fancy schmancy, but it really isn't. It is basically stew with chicken. This recipe is my adaptation from the Barefoot Contessa - Back to Basics cookbook. There are so many great recipes in this cookbook. I wanted to try this one because I haven't ever made it before and I've heard this was a delicious dish.

Ingredients:
Good Olive Oil
8 ounces good bacon diced
6-8 pounds chicken breasts/thighs, without skin
Kosher Salt
Fresh ground black pepper
1 pound carrots, cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces
2 yellow onions, sliced
2 tsp chopped garlic (2 cloves)
1/4 cup Cognac or good brandy
1 bottle good, dry red wine such as Burgundy
2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 bunch fresh thyme sprigs
4 Tbl unsalted buttter, at room temperature divided
3 Tbl all-purpose flour
1 pound frozen small whole onions
1 pound porcini mushrooms, stems removed and thickly sliced

Directions:
Preheat oven to 275 degrees.

Heat 1 Tbl olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove the bacon to a plate with a slotted spoon.

Meanwhile, pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Liberally sprinkle the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. After the bacon is removed, add a few of the chicken pieces in a single layer and brown for about 5 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove the chicken pieces to the plate with the bacon and continue to add the chicken in batches until all the chicken is browned. Set aside.

Add the carrots, onions, 1 Tbl salt, and 2 tsp pepper to the pot and cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the Cognac, then carefully ignite and stand back! Let it burn off the alcohol. Put the bacon, chicken, and any juices that collect on the plate into the pot. Add the wine, chicken stock, and thyme sprigs an bring to a boil. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink. Remove from the oven and place on the stovetop.

Mash 2 Tbl of the butter and flour together in a small bowl and stir the paste into the stew. Add the frozen onions. In a medium saute' pan, melt the remaining 2 Tbl butter and cook the mushrooms over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes, until browned. Add to the stew. Bring the stew to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes. Season to taste.

Things I learned: This was the first time I had made this dish. I discovered this first time not to leave skin on the chicken because it was too greasy. I also realized that using the chicken pieces instead of whole chicken was easier for my kids to eat. I think I didn't use enough salt or enough thyme; it needed a little more flavor. Otherwise, it was a delicious dish and my family loved it.

Rating: 3.5 stars (out of 5)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is awesome. I still remember when we stayed over at your house you made us dinner...a roast and potatoes. They were delicious! I am sure this was too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! I cannot wait to see "Whats for Dinner" throughout 2010! Luv ya

    ReplyDelete